Crews Summer Camp Shirts

by 12:11 PM
Crews Middle School commissioned me again for two summer-camp design shirts: one for the Bronco Bootcamp, and the other for the Bronco Tech Camp. Because the shirts were summer camp shirts, the designs could deviate from the school's branding. I decided to experiment with various illustration styles to practice what I learned in my illustration course. With both shirts, I wanted to experiment with the bronco's form to create broncos more personable than the one that I've design in the previous two shirts.

With the tech camp shirt, I wanted to combine the idea of the Apple Geniuses with the Best Buy GeekSquad. I chose the royal-blue shirts to represent the Geniuses, and I approached the bronco's character as if he were part of the GeekSquad. With the tech shirt, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone stylistically to try to create a more mainstream styled graphic. I learned a lot from this process and how different techniques can be used to solve design problems (especially in regards to color theory, particularly with the coloring of the bronco's glasses).

With the Bronco Bootcamp shirt, the client suggested shirts that looked like army bootcamp shirts. It was important to me to stay gender-neutral with the military shirts to appeal to the female students, and I also wanted to stay away from controversial imagery or messages that could be construed as pro-violence or pro-war. I decided having the bronco stand at attention would demonstrate that the students at Crews were "present and ready to learn" in a manner that was professional and respectful. The stars and red accent harken back to 1940's era army planes and the art painted on the side.

Crews Middle provided me with the images at the camps of the students in their shirts. I love seeing the kids in action!