Recently Investigated Printed Materials
I do not normally read fashion magazines, but in my Print and Editorial class we are working on a magazine redesign. Although my magazine is not a fashion magazine, I purchased one in order to cut up for collage purposes. The magazine I purchased was the October 2012 issue of MarieClaire with Gwen Stefani (female vocalist for the band No Doubt) as the feature article. I really enjoy the treatment of layout and typography of the design of the feature spread on Stefani because it takes advantage of white space that is chic, clean, and creates beautiful vertical columns of text that reinforce the idea that Gwen Stefani is a powerful, talented woman (because, after all, vertical lines are associated with ideas surrounding power and authority).
Also, one aspect of the magazine I found incredibly interesting was the very conservative use of typefaces throughout the magazine. One assumes that because fashion magazines are bold, collage-oriented, and driven by the idea of visual impulse, the typefaces and fonts used would also vary widely. What I've found, however, is that if ads are disregarded, only one or two typefaces really seem to dominate the design (not counting the typeface used in the nameplate). To vary the look, MarieClaire simply changes weight, size, and color of a typeface to create new looks. I find such a practice to be very clever because it creates a subconscious visual consistency among the type in the magazine that helps ground the design amid all the visual images and graphics. I suspect the typefaces MarieClaire uses are Bodoni and Gill Sans, though the sans serif face may be Helvetica Neue.
Finding these subtleties in the magazine makes me rethink larger layout projects and how to best execute design consistency. I challenge myself to investigate more print subtleties that would otherwise not be noticed without a critical eye. I believe my findings will help strengthen and unify my designs.
Below are a few snapshots of the October 2012 issue of MarieClaire I purchased. Look at the typeface consistency. See what I mean?



