One of my favorite desserts for special occasions is Watergate Salad. The best part about the dessert is that it is not decadently sweet, but rather, just the right about of "yum"--especially when paired with fruit. For the recipe spread assignment, I designed a spread for Watergate Salad. Because the recipe is literately as simple as buying the ingredients and mixing them into a bowl, there was not much opportunity to showcase much text, so my brainstorming told me that the visual aspect of the spread needed to me dynamic in selling the dessert. Although my original idea of somehow incorporating Richard Nixon into the spread was not immediately successful (although in the future I may return to the concept and push my original idea more), the idea of Richard Nixon did inspire the overall design. Because Richard Nixon was president during the early 1970's, I wanted to pay homage to the 1970's era as well as the posters. I enjoy the outcome of the spread, although I really want to push this design further in the future because of it's playful potential.
Watergate Salad Recipe Spread
One of my favorite desserts for special occasions is Watergate Salad. The best part about the dessert is that it is not decadently sweet, but rather, just the right about of "yum"--especially when paired with fruit. For the recipe spread assignment, I designed a spread for Watergate Salad. Because the recipe is literately as simple as buying the ingredients and mixing them into a bowl, there was not much opportunity to showcase much text, so my brainstorming told me that the visual aspect of the spread needed to me dynamic in selling the dessert. Although my original idea of somehow incorporating Richard Nixon into the spread was not immediately successful (although in the future I may return to the concept and push my original idea more), the idea of Richard Nixon did inspire the overall design. Because Richard Nixon was president during the early 1970's, I wanted to pay homage to the 1970's era as well as the posters. I enjoy the outcome of the spread, although I really want to push this design further in the future because of it's playful potential.
-01.png)