Break The Cycle - Bullying Campaign
I'm really excited to have found an organization that helps prevent and create awareness about a very specific form of bullying: dating abuse. I believe an alarming number of young women in abusive relationships think fights and lover's quarrels are normal parts of relationships, but what they do not realize is that the obsessive, aggressive, and controlling behaviors of a significant other may actually be textbook signs of domestic abuse. I believe many young women make excuses to minimize the seriousness of certain situations, and their denial is not only unhealthy--it's dangerous. In today's society, young women have the added pressure of feeling obligated to be in a relationship, so even when they feel and acknowledge something in the relationship is not healthy, sometimes the pressure to not "be alone" outweighs the benefits of removing themselves from harmful situations. I want young women to know it's okay to be an independent, strong woman, and that it's okay to walk away if you feel emotionally or physically threatened.
Below is a script I've written for my awareness commercial; I expect it to run approximately a minute long. Also below is a link to the Break The Cycle campaign, which I wish I had known about earlier when someone I love was in a dangerous situation. Break The Cycle's mission is so vital to young people everywhere because creating awareness and prevention of dating abuse helps prevent spousal and child abuse later in life.
Link to Break the Cycle.
Script:


