Pop Culture Fanzine

by 12:23 AM

The fanzine project was a quick-turn around collaborative project with all of the BFA Graphic Design students at Georgia State University. The theme was "Home" and "Away", where the juniors in the program designed a page they felt embodied "Home", and the graduating seniors designed a page illustrating "Away". The color pallet for the project was pre-determined by the professors, so we were bound by those limitations.

I designed two pages to illustrate my views of "Home"; my initial design ('The House Cat'), was a reflective piece about my cats at home and how I missed my cat, Gandalf, who passed away last summer. The second piece I designed ('Fear The Digital Age') is my commentary about how technology completely engulfs my life at home to the point of being suffocating, and how weary I am of becoming totally dependent on life behind a computer screen. The quick rough gesture of the sketch was meant to reflect my apathy and frustration felt towards such dependance and how desperately I desire a return to the natural world and simpler days.

Ultimately, I submitted my 'Fear The Digital Age' piece. I will photograph my page in the fanzine when the printed book arrives!