World AIDS Day - Revision
Below is an edit of an in-class assignment that was originally posted in the previous blog entry. The assignment is for World AIDS Day 2012, and the posters are to be displayed in the Museum of Design Atlanta. When I think of AIDS, I think of Freddie Mercury. Freddie Mercury is remembered as being one of the first people (especially celebrities) to die of AIDS, and I find it so heartbreaking that a man who touched so many people with his voice, energy, and charisma died before his time from such a terrible disease (as he himself can even be quoted as describing it). My poster is a tribute to him and his legacy, as well as an unspoken tribute to the men and women who have died in the fight against HIV/AIDS who have in their passing contributed to scientific research seeking to cure and rid the world of AIDS. My poster is also meant to inspire those with AIDS and who are afraid of what that means for them and the life before them. In very large text is Freddie's statement publicly acknowledging the disease, and I hope to inspire individuals with HIV/AIDS to not be afraid or ashamed of it. The first step to conquering any disease or illness is to confront it head-on, and I hope by using Freddie's statement essentially saying "Here I am, I have AIDS. This is me and my life" that people will see they are not alone in the fight, and that courage will lead to the strength needed to battle and fight HIV/AIDS.
In my edit, I altered the opacity of Freddie's head and the logos to enhance and establish hierarchy within the poster. I also chose a typeface that better complimented the grungy feel of the background texture for Freddie's quote to also create contrast between the typefaces used elsewhere (such as in the MODA logo) within the composition. I extended Freddie's jaw-line in the graphic as well because before I believe he resembled Luigi from Super Mario too much. A slight gaussian blur was added to the background texture to also create a slight contrast between the graphic Freddie head and the graphic texture.
We love you always and forever, Freddie! <3
.png)