TEDTalks have a reputation for being innovative, informative, and influential. Two TEDTalks I found intriguing enough to consider basing my collateral project around was one by Simon Lewis titled "Don't Take Consciousness For Granted" and Janna Levin's "The Sound The Universe Makes".
- Simon Lewis' talk discusses the fragility of and threats to the human consciousness and how new technologies can give individuals with brain trauma a second chance at living a normal life. Simon Lewis' main underlying message to the audience encourages the audience to confront struggles of brain trauma in their lives instead of retreating from them in order to promote individual growth and inner prosperity.
- Janna Levin's talk insists that the universe is not a silent place, but rather a place with a soundtrack of noises that will help answer questions of our origins. Janna believes that black holes create reverberations that can be heard once technology advances enough to record such, and that "The Big Bang" sounds like static (i.e. the purest form of white noise). Janna's talk is significant because it inspires people to continue pursing space exploration as a means to answer questions about human existence.
After consideration and analysis of content, I decided Simon Lewis' TEDTalk should influence my collateral project. The project's requirements include three collateral components that must: inspire action within people based upon the talk's content; provide viewers with an inforgraphic; and contain sufficient text to validate the talk's content and inform the reader.
I did a bunch of preliminary brainstorming and content sketches:
After pages and pages of brainstorming and reviewing my process with my professor, I started to realized I was overzealous with my ideas; I had the idea to create a campaign identity to package and consistently brand my collateral (similar to the Truth campaign). although my ideas for a campaign were strong, the project was a collateral project, and I was creating a branding/identity project within the collateral project that became a project unto itself and was problematic for completing the project in our allotted timeframe. So, I reevaluated my strategy and broke down my intentions: what is my goal and what do I want people to do? These sketches gave me better direction for how to approach collateral projects without feeling overwhelmed.
Stay tuned for the final designs.

